My goal was to get the zucchini seeds planted, but before I could do that there was still a lot of clean up left. One of the major items was moldy fencing that had been stacked up in the back.
After cleaning the yard, I decided to make headway cleaning under the porch. While it’s mainly broken glass and cigarette butts, I found an old solar powered torch with the solar panel still intact.
I need to test it out and see if it still works, but at the very least I figure I can DIY it into something useful, maybe a hummingbird feeder.
I also found old surveying equipment under this Narnia-esque porch.While I’m not exactly sure how I’ll make use of it, if nothing else I’ll put it up for sale on Craigslist and try to make some money for more gardening goods.
Once I got down and dirty in the soil I saw a couple of slugs sliding around.
It might have been the recent rainy days that made them come out, but either way I’ll have to research some effective ways to deal with them before they become a problem for the plants.
After hoeing through some incredibly rocky soil, I got my seeds in. Admittedly, I’m a little concerned about the quality of the soil, especially because it sometimes feels like I’m mining rather than gardening.
My mom gave me a tip for zucchini: She said to make mounds and plant them in sets of five so that one sits on top of the mound and there are two on either side.
In retrospect, the spaces might be a little close together, but I only have so much room to work with. I’ll know for sure if they’re spaced well enough in 10-14 days.
So far I’ve put two days of work in and all I have to show for it are trash, rocks, and a couple green tomatoes, but I’m staying hopeful because there’s still a lot of work to be done!